Monday, September 3, 2012

Book Spotlight & Guest Post by Miranda Stork -Author of Erin

 
Erin is the werewolf Queen of Athol Castle. She has no memories of the events of a few months ago, where she believed herself to be a psychologist, and met the enigmatic and charming Conner... 

Filtiarn has taken over Conner’s body once more, and is relishing being in control. Cruel and sensual, he decides to work on a plan...to take over humanity. He begins a war...of werewolves against humans. But unknown to him, Conner is fighting against him within his own body, to set things right, and to bring Erin back from her own darkness. He tries to undo a great mistake from long ago, using Erin’s famed sword, Sioctine, as remnants of his own memory come back to him, opening up the present he now lives in. 

At the same time, another enemy is using the situation to their advantage, following the werewolves at every turn, threatening to undo everything that Conner is struggling to obtain... 

But will he be able to bring Erin back from Filtiarn’s grasp, or is it too late? And will he be able to stop the war against the humans progressing? 

And who is threatening to take over not only the humans, but the werewolves as well?

Guest Post


 
Hey everyone! *waves madly* Well, I’m excited to be on Laura’s blog today as the guest poster, and I promise not to make a mess. Well, not much of a mess anyway. I swear those cookie crumbs were not me. 

So! What am I going to warble on about today? Well, a lot of people seem to like to know the process that writers use to actually…well, write. So I thought instead of trying to cram my whole process into one post, I would describe one big part of it instead-people-watching.

It sounds a lot creepier than it really is, but really it’s just garnering ideas from people’s everyday movements. Ask the Italians, if you go anywhere to a café or restaurant over there, you will see everyone people watching if they are bored. Why? Because it’s fun to watch what other people are doing when you’re bored. It’s the reason that programmes, like Big Brother are popular, if not my taste. It’s also the reason people crane their necks if they see a fight starting in the middle of the street, or if someone laughs just loud enough to let you know something is really funny. 

So sometimes if I’m sat out somewhere waiting for someone, or I’m just relaxing, I like to watch everyone around me. Then I pick out people who look interesting to me, and build up a little story. And yes, if there is a hot man, I may take a look as well. *giggle* Let me give you an example…

I’m sat waiting for my friend at a restaurant. I have a cold glass of something delicious, but she’s late. Now I have a very short attention span if I’m bored, and I don’t like being kept waiting. Combine these two, and you create the perfect environment for my mind to wander over to….her! Over there. You see her, right? The woman who looks very busy, and yet is taking a moment to relax on a bench. She is carrying a briefcase, but also a large collection of shopping bags. Her hair has come loose, and her glasses keep slipping down her nose, and she pushes them back up nervously. The woman is wearing a suit, but it looks a size or two too small for her, and it’s the wrong colour. All of this means that she is easily a very busy career woman, but doesn’t have time to make sure she is dressed in the most fashionable clothes, but at the same time she is nervous of what people think of her. Perhaps, by the look of the bags, she’s taking a second to shop and eat, before racing back to the office for that crucial deal.

Now, we could just leave it here, but I like to add my strange imagination.
So…she’s not just a business woman, she’s something else. My genre is horror and paranormal, so obviously she is going to have to be a supernatural creature. She drops something as I continue to think, and a man going past catches it for her, and hands it over before walking on. She smiles at him, and nods, placing it back into her bags. I’ve got it! *snaps fingers* She’s a succubus. The woman-or succubus as she is now-feeds from men by using them. She sleeps with them, and sucks the very life from their lungs. Yes, that sounds good. And the only reason she dresses so badly, is to lure men in. If she wore her usual va-va-vampy voom red dress with the low neck, it would be too obvious. So she hides what she really is, in order to lure them into a false sense of security. But someone does know about her. A succubus hunter. Who of course, just happens to be a HOT man. But one night he tracks her, and finds that there is more to her than meets the eye. And she, for the first time in 2000 years, thinks the same of him. Let’s call our new character…..erm…..uh…..Valoria. Yeah, I just made that up. It’s copyrighted though, don’t y’all be pinching it!

So that’s just a little glimpse into one of the first parts of my process; dreaming up new character. My characters are always inspired by real life, and if you ever catch me staring at you…..yes, you may now be a two-headed monster with fur. But maybe not if you’re nice to me. J
Author Bio;
I was born in Guisborough, North Yorkshire in 1987 and have lived in various places around Britain, including Newcastle and Glasgow.
My writing is inspired by various writers, including the vivid characters of Charles Dickens, the imagination of Stephen King, and the gothic imagery of Anne Rice.
My love of horror began at an early age, when I was only three or four. I could read proficiently at the age of three, and devoured fairy-stories, but I always had a bent towards the darker stories, such as the Brother's Grimm's tales...Red Riding Hood was always a firm favourite, although I always felt sorry for the wolf, despite him having tried to eat everyone!

Connect with Miranda

0 comments:

Post a Comment